Ariel Castro agrees to plea in Ohio kidnap case

Ariel Castro agrees to plea in Ohio kidnap case

Ariel Castro will serve life without parole plus 1,000 years to avoid the death penalty. Photo: Associated Press/Tony Dejak

CLEVELAND (AP) — A Cleveland man accused of holding three women captive in his home for about a decade has agreed to plead guilty in a deal to avoid the death penalty.

Ariel Castro is entering the plea Friday. In exchange, prosecutors said the 53-year-old Castro would be sentenced to life without parole plus 1,000 years.

Castro had been charged in a 977-count indictment.

He had been scheduled for trial Aug. 5 on allegations that include repeatedly restraining the women and punching and starving one woman until she had a miscarriage.

The women disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004, when they were 14, 16 and 20 years old. Each said they had accepted a ride from Castro.

They escaped Castro’s house May 6 when one kicked out part of a door and called to neighbors for help. Castro was arrested within hours and has remained behind bars.

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

‘Spectre’ destroyed nearly $34M worth of cars


The price tag for the latest installment in the "James Bond" franchise includes millions in automobiles, including seven specially-created Aston Martins that were wrecked during filming.

in Music

Blake Shelton ‘in a good place’ after divorce


"The Voice" judge has opened up about his recent split from Miranda Lambert.

in Viral Videos

WATCH: Daisy drives Oliver


You've heard of "Driving Miss Daisy." Well, this is a little different.

in Music

Sara Evans nursing knee injury after tour bus fall


The "You'll Always Be My Baby" singer is on crutches.

in Entertainment

Marvel adds another show to its TV takeover


Another Marvel TV show is in the works proving, once again, the franchise is a case study in taking over multiple mediums.